175. From Burnout to Resilience, with Jason Young, co-author of Don't Burn Out, Burn Bright
August 01, 2023
How can we avoid burnout in ministry?
Jason Young is a keynote speaker, coach, and consultant who helps churches and businesses thrive, and the co-author of Don’t Burn Out, Burn Bright.
In this episode, Jason Young and Markus Watson get real specific about what can lead to burnout in ministry and what we can to do prevent it.
THIS EPISODE'S HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
- Jason Young is a keynote speaker, coach, and consultant who helps churches and businesses thrive, and the co-author of Don’t Burn Out, Burn Bright.
- Jason wants to help leaders, not only prevent burnout in ministry, but structure their lives and ministries in such a way that they truly thrive in all areas of life.
- “When discouragement creeps in, destruction is nigh.”
- According to Jason Young, burnout in ministry leadership is not inevitable.
- Control isolates. Control rarely invites.
- Staff members want to know two things in their work:
- Will I be successful if I do this?
- What’s in it for me?
- Jesus, too, was motivated by what was in it for him. Hebrews says it was “for the joy set before him” that he endured that cross.
- Jason Young discusses the connection between entanglements and burnout in ministry.
- According to Jason Young, leaders read too much. Maybe leaders need to do less reading.
- Sometimes in all our reading and consuming of information, we may begin to forget the voice of God.
- In his early ministry years, Markus Watson wanted to attend lots of conferences. In his middle ministry years, Markus took lots of classes. At this stage of his ministry, Markus recognizes that he’s filled his mind with plenty of information; now he wants to pursue life experiences.
- Exhaustion and burnout in ministry leadership doesn’t show up suddenly; it creeps in and slowly drains you.
- “If God called you to ministry, it’s his. And he would like for you to be openhanded with his ministry because he wants to trust you with more.”
RELEVANT RESOURCES AND LINKS:
Download the FREE course, Becoming Leaders of Shalom.