142. Navigating the 7 Stages of Transition, with D. Michael Lindsay, author of Hinge Moments
November 22, 2022
D. Michael Lindsay is the author of Hinge Moments: Making the Most of Life’s Transitions and the president of Taylor University in Upland, Indiana.
In this episode, D. Michael Lindsay unpacks the seven stages of transition and helps us understand how to navigate those stages well--both personally and corporately.
THIS EPISODE'S HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
- D. Michael Lindsay is the author of Hinge Moments: Making the Most of Life’s Transitions and the president of Taylor University in Upland, Indiana.
- D. Michael Lindsay shares the story of losing his cousin, which is the event that got him thinking about hinge moments.
- Hinge Moments is about: How do you pay attention to the ways God is trying to get your attention? And how can you be preparing for the next hinge moment in your life?
- We live millions of minutes. But we only have a handful of minutes in our lives that are true inflection points.
- According to D. Michael Lindsay, change happens in an instant, while transition takes place over a longer period of time.
- The pandemic represents a societal hinge moment.
- The seven stages of navigating transition are:
- D. Michael Lindsay encourages his students that failure is almost never final.
- Faith plays an important role in navigating transition.
- Spiritual practices are incredibly helpful when navigating hinge moments.
- D. Michael Lindsay shares examples of practices that can be helpful during times of transition.
- D. Michael Lindsay suggests that for churches and ministry leaders, the pandemic has been a little ice age (as opposed to a blizzard or a winter).
RELEVANT RESOURCES AND LINKS:
- Books mentioned:
Get Becoming Leaders of Shalom for free HERE.
Download the FREE course, Becoming Leaders of Shalom.